- Appointed to the Third Department effective February 11, 2008.
- Graduated from Niagara University and Albany Law School.
- In the United States Army from 1965 to 1969, serving as an officer in the Vietnam War.
- After admission to practice in 1973, was an Assistant District Attorney in Albany County and engaged in the private practice of law in Albany from 1974 until 1982.
- Served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of New York from 1982 until 1998.
- Appointed to the Supreme Court in early 1998 and elected in November of that year to a 14-year term.
- Appointed an Associate Justice of the Appellate Division, First Department in August 2005.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of Albany Law School.