- Appointed to the Third Department, effective January 1, 1988.
- Served as Acting Presiding Justice of the Third Department from 2011 to 2012.
- Graduated from Saint Michael's College in 1965 and Georgetown University Law Center in 1968.
- Joined the staff of the Washington County District Attorney in 1973 where, from 1974 to 1977, he served as First Assistant District Attorney.
- Served as Washington County District Attorney from 1977 until 1981 and as Washington County Judge in 1981.
- Engaged in the private practice of law from 1969 until 1981.
- Elected to the Supreme Court in 1981 and reelected in 1995 and 2009..
- Served on the Pattern Jury Instructions Committee from 1991 through 2006.
- Temporarily sat on the Court of Appeals in 1994 and 2011 by designation.
- Served on the State Ethics Commission of the Unified Court System from 1989 until 2003 and as its chair from 1996 until 2003.
- Member of the Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics and Federal-State Judicial Council since 2003.