Circuit Courts, 1786-1895

In 1786, the Justices of the Supreme Court of Judicature were directed to hold sessions of the Circuit Court in the counties to which they were assigned. Individual justices heard all civil cases triable within an assigned county and the court records were returned to the Supreme Court where final judgment was rendered. The Circuit Court was abolished by the Constitution of 1894 and its jurisdiction was transferred to the New York Supreme Court.