Probate Court, 1778-1823

The Probate Court was established in 1778. Initially, it exercised the prerogative powers of the colonial Governor but later its original jurisdiction was confined to cases where the deceased was absent from the State at the time of death, or was a non-resident who died within the State. When the Surrogates’ Courts were establish in 1787, the Probate Court gained appellate jurisdiction over appeals from the Surrogates’ Courts. The Probate Court was abolished in 1823 and its jurisdiction was transferred to the New York Court of Chancery.