Home

Home
Attorney Matters
Directions
FAQ's

Ancillary Programs:
Attorney for the Child
Judicial Election
Qualif. Commissions

Mental Health Professionals
Mental Hygiene Legal Service


Appointment/Assignment
Opportunities
Court Examiner
MHL Article 10

About the Court
The Courthouse
How a Case is Decided
Justices of the Court

Rules of Procedure
Forms & Practice Aids
Calendars
Public Notices

Decisions:
HTML Format Appeals
HTML Format Motions
   (searchable)
PDF Format
• Decisions of Interest
     2011
     2010
     2009
     2008
     2007

Links

Contact Us
 
Appellate Division - Second Department
The Court's Seal

Supreme Court Appellate Division - Second DepartmentOn the first Monday in October 1895, the Justices assigned to the new Appellate Division of the Supreme Court met in convention in the City of Albany where they adopted a resolution concerning the design of a common seal for the four Departments of the court. On January 6, 1896, at their first meeting after the Constitution of 1894 went into effect, the Justices of the Appellate Division for the Second Judicial Department issued an order adopting the seal designed by the Albany convention, stating that it:

“shall be composed of a figure of Justice represented by a woman dressed in white robes and holding in the right hand a pair of scales on the true balance while with her left arm she leans upon a sword. The design is surrounded by the words which, in simple lettering, form a border and read 'Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Second Department.'”

The seal adopted in 1896 is still in use today.

© 2003 Appellate Division, Second Judicial Department.
Artwork by Juri Tassa, Esto Graphics.

New York State Unified Court System Lady Justice
Home
Courts
CourtHelp
Attorneys
Jurors
Judges
Careers
Search