The Review Process
Every person who is a candidate for admission to the bar of this state based upon taking and successfully passing the New York State Bar Examination (see 22 NYCRR 520.2), or for reciprocal admission on motion based, inter alia, upon admission to practice before the court of last resort in another state, territory, or the District of Columbia (see 22 NYCRR 520.10), and every person seeking licensure as a legal consultant (see 22 NYCRR parts 521, 692), must undergo an investigation of her or his character and fitness. The process requires the candidate to complete an application questionnaire, to complete or secure the completion of several additional forms, to submit required documentation, and to appear for a personal interview before a member of the Committees on Character and Fitness.
See the following guides for further information:
• How to Apply for Admission to Practice Upon Examination
• How to Apply for Admission to Practice Without Examination
• How to Apply for Licensure as a Foreign Legal Consultant
The instructions and forms necessary to complete an application for admission to practice are:
• Application Package (Applicable to all four Departments of the Appellate Division. Includes General Instructions and forms.)
• Supplemental Instructions (Applicable to the Second Judicial Department only.)
Registration Package Notice to Applicants—Duty to Register.
Includes official OCA registration
form and rules.